So I’ve got a little bit of a problem… You remember how about a week ago I said that I wanted to do a small detox? Well, I’m failing at it… And my biggest problem is cutting down on sugar!
You see, the last two-three weeks of February are normally super intense and stressful in the industry I work in. When I am stressed, I tend to crave sweets. The more sweets I eat, the more I crave them. As you can imagine, it becomes somewhat of a crazy cycle.
As if it wasn’t bad enough, I decided to share some extra sugary truth with you. *BOOM! Just because I can! Haha!*
To top it off, sugar:
- is guilty of the creation of dental plaque & cavities;
- triggers weight gain;
- feeds cancer cells;
- promotes premature aging, etc.
According to The Telegraph, you’re addicted to sugar if you answer ‘yes’ to one of the following questions:
1. Do you struggle to walk past a sugary treat without taking ‘just one’?
2. Do you have routines around sugar consumption – for example, always having pudding, or needing a piece of chocolate to relax in front of the television?
3. Are there times when you feel as if you cannot go on without a sugar hit?
4. If you are forced to go without sugar for 24 hours, do you develop headaches and mood swings?
Fortunately, I am a kind of person who stops craving sweets all at once if I don’t have any of them for about a week or so. Thus, the hardest step for me is pretty much to lower the consumption of sugar, and it’s an easy ride from there on.
*So dramatic! Hahaha!*
There are a few ways to curb the craving. Here are some of them:
- MAKE A DECISION TO CUT BACK ON SUGAR *I mean, you gotta be committed! and mentally prepared for the challenge!*
- Limit the amount of sugar you put in tea and coffee;
- Substitute juice for water;
- Watch out for ‘fat-free’ snacks;
- Start reading labels;
- Beware not only of artificial sweeteners but also ‘healthy’ sugar options *it still sends the same signal to your brain = I WANT SOMETHING SWEET!!!*;
- Don’t overdo on fruit consumption;
- No soft drinks *DUH!*;
- Give preference to plain yogurt;
- Swap sugar for cinnamon *This is genius!*;
- OH, AND STAY AWAY FROM THE SWEETS AT THE STORE!!! *Oh, you knew I wouldn’t forget this one!*
Now, share your secrets with me! What is your biggest sweet addiction? What works for you when you try to cut down on sugar?