Earlier this month I was given an opportunity to review Manitoba Harvest Hemp Heart Bars. I am very honored to do it since it’s a Canadian company.
If you’ve never tried hemp seeds, hemp products have a slightly nutty taste. According to care2 article, hemp has the following 5 health benefits:
- The protein and fiber in hemp combine to slow digestion, which prevents spikes in blood sugar and therefore sustains your body’s energy. A diet rich in hemp promotes digestive regularity.
- When sprinkled on your cereal or fruit at breakfast, hemp protein and fiber also help aid in satiety, which will prevent you from snacking and keep you fuller longer.
- The Omega-3 fatty acids in hemp reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, lower blood pressure, and may even ward off Alzheimer’s disease. Hemp seeds are one of the few Omega-3 sources found in plants.
- The Omega-6 fatty acids in hemp stimulate skin and hair growth, maintain bone health, regulate metabolism, and help the brain function.
- Hemp seeds contain essential amino acids, which improves muscle control, mental function, and normal body maintenance of cells, muscle, tissues, and organs.
Manitoba Harvest Hemp Heart bars are crafted with the goodness of hemp and other tasty ingredients too. They’ve whipped up three different delicious flavours to choose from: vanilla, chocolate and apple cinnamon. Each 45 gram bar contains 10 grams of plant-based protein and 10 grams of omegas, so whether you grab one for a pre-workout snack or nutrition on the go, these convenient bars are sure to get you through even your busiest day! Needless to say, I was very curious to try out the two flavors I was provided with: Apple Cinnamon & Chocolate.
Ingredients: Hemp hearts (shelled hemp seeds), organic coconut palm sugar, organic brown rice syrup, dried apple, cinnamon, organic apple flavor, pectin, organic sunflower oil, organic caramel flavour, rosemary extract.
I definitely liked this flavour a lot! It’s not overly sweet, yet satisfies a sweet tooth. I had it as an afternoon snack just before my workout. It was light and filling and gave me the boost I needed.
Ingredients: Hemp heart (shelled hemp seeds), organic brown rice syrup, organic coconut palm sugar, organic cocoa mass, organic dutch-process cocoa, organic chocolate flavour, pectin, organic sunflower oil, rosemary extract.
It took me a few bites to appreciate the taste of this bar, mostly because it’s been a while since I had dark chocolate. *I’ll blame Valentine’s day for this! Haha!* That being said, I can see myself enjoying it before a long run or simply as a snack.
Manitoba Harvest is running a photo contest:
Tag @manitobaharvest #hempheartbar #fuelledbyhemp #sweatpink @fitapproach for a chance to win a box of your favorite flavor of Hemp Heart Bars!
A winner will be chosen each month!
Eligibility: open to US and Canada residents
Also Manitoba Harvest offers a discount to all of my readers. The discount code hhbarlaunch1015 will get you 15% off! It expires on March 31, 2016, so go ahead and take advantage of it!
What is your favourite hemp product?