After reading my previous blog post, one of my fellow bloggers, Laura, pointed out to me that there is yet another great exercise to strengthen your core: the PLANK.
Usually I do include it in my regular workout; however, when I REALLY started thinking about it, I realized that I normally stick to a basic plank or a side plank. This is kind of silly, not because they are not good enough, but there is a great variety of planks that can benefit your body even more!
So what is the plank?
Alright, maybe it’s not that simple, it’s a WORKOUT after all!
I know that it might sound too good to be true, but this exercise can pretty much tone your ENTIRE body. By doing different variations of this basic move, you can target your arms, back, core, legs, and booty. WHOA!
I found the following picture on Pinterest, which I think is pretty cool because you can see different types of a plank.
When doing variations of the basic plank, remember to:
- make sure that your shoulders are stacked over your elbows and your body is in one straight line
When doing variations of the raised plank, don’t forget to:
- lie flat on the floor, place your hands beneath your shoulders, and then push up
- maintain a straight line between your toes and shoulders
When doing variations of the basic side plank, it’s important to:
- lie on your side with your legs straight, then prop yourself up with your forearm so your body forms a diagonal line. Rest your other hand on your hip
This is what I did for my plank workout (repeat 2 or 3 times):
- Basic plank: 1 minute
- Basic plank with raised leg: each leg x 30 seconds
- Basic plank with raised arm: 5 reps each arm x 5 seconds
- Basic plank with both leg and arm raised: 5 reps each side x 5 seconds
And here is my take on a new type of plank: THE BELLA PLANK
*I knew you would love it!*
What are your favorite plank types? How do your incorporate the plank in your workout?