Happy Hump day my dear friends! We’ve made it so far! Wooohooooo! I don’t know how about you, but once Wednesday comes around, I am a happy person again haha!
You know what else can make me happy? When I get a decent amount of sleep! However, I think, I’ve got a real problem: On work days when I have to wake up at 6.30 am, I could EASILY sleep until 9-10 am *or at least that’s how my body feels*; yet, on a weekend, when I actually can sleep in, I can’t!!! Like, WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH ME?!
I definitely don’t suffer from sleep deprivation because I always get at least 7 hours of sleep, but I do remember how I would pull all nighters when I was still at school. I mean, I definitely didn’t feel my best on those days, but I really didn’t think of it much. However, there are some serious problems that could stem from sleep deprivation. Take a look at it!
That’s some serious stuff! I found some good tips on how to sleep better here, but this is a quick summary:
- Keep a regular sleep schedule: set a regular bedtime, be smart about napping
- Naturally regulate your sleep-wake cycle: increase light exposure during day time, turn off TV & computer at night (record your favorite late shows), change your bright light bulbs
- Create a relaxing bedtime routine: keep noise levels down, keep your room cool, make sure your bed is comfortable, create bedtime relaxing rituals (read a book or magazine, take a bath, listen to soft music)
- Eat right and get regular exercise: stay away from big meals at night, avoid alcohol before bed, cut down on caffeine, quit smoking
- Get anxiety and stress in check: deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation, practice yoga
Let’s move on to my planned workout for today. According to my 12-week plan, this is what I gotta do:
Unbreakable Strength Plus Run
Repeat four times (3-minute rest between sets):
- Dumbbell Lunge 30 seconds each leg
- Split Lunch Jumps 30 seconds
- Plank Walk 45 seconds
- Shoulder Taps 45 seconds
Run 20 minutes with heart rate in zone 3. However, since I won’t be able to make it to the gym today, I decided to do the following Fat Burning Cardio workout instead of the run.
What does your workout look like today? Also what are your secrets to getting a proper amount of sleep?