Being fairly new to running, I’ve heard quite a few times the term ‘tempo run’. I must admit though, I never really knew what it meant. And it seems like it’s a good thing that I decided to look it up because apparently there is lots of confusion and misunderstanding among runners.
I found two really awesome articles (here and here) on Runner’s World to clarify it for myself. Here are the main points:
- A tempo run is 20 minutes of steady running at threshold pace.
- “Threshold pace is the effort level just below which the body’s ability to clear lactate, a by-product of carbohydrate metabolism, can no longer keep up with lactate production…[which is] for most people, about 25 to 30 seconds per mile slower than current 5K race pace”.
- The most important aspect of a tempo run is to maintain a specific and consistent pace.
My workout for today:
Warm up 2 miles with heart rate in zone 2. Run 2 miles with a heart rate in zone 4. Cool down 2 miles with heart rate in zone 4.
One of my favorite fellow bloggers Jenna from Little Green Running Shoes has nominated me for a Liebester Award! WOOP WOOP! I am very flattered and honored. Jenna is super adorable and has many sides to her. Not only does she have a great blog, she is also an AFAA certified Personal Trainer and Group Ex Instructor. You should definitely check her out!
So what exactly is the Liebster Award?
It helps to generate attention for new and upcoming bloggers, generally those with 200 followers or less. As with other awards, there are rules:
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger
- Answer 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you
- 11 random facts about yourself
- List some bloggers with fewer than 200 followers that you really feel deserve a little blogging love!
- Let all of the bloggers know you have nominated them. You cannot nominate the blogger that nominated you!
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you have nominated to answer
Here are my answers to Jenna’s questions:
1. What’s your favorite ice cream? Hmmmmm… Let’s see… French Vanilla… Cookies & Cream… With chunks of strawberry cheese cake… And all types of gelato! I mean, what kind of question it is? Like, seriously?! Haha! I LOVE any ice-cream! A few years back I could finish the entire box of it within a day! I know, it’s bad, but then who cares! *Thank God, I’ve smartened up and now eat it over 1.5 days! JUST KIDDING!*
2. What’s your favorite outfit? Again? I mean, I am a girl! How am I supposed to know what my favorite outfit is?! How many times did you start getting ready to go somewhere and then changed your outfit at least 3 times?! Alright, let’s narrow it down. I like comfortable… but then I like sexy too, which could be not so comfortable at times. Go figure!
3. What’s your pet peeve? Finally a question that I could answer! I can’t stand when people chew gum with their mouth open. I swear, I stare those people down. And this is quite frightening. As my hubby says, if looks could kill… Haha! By the way, that’s how I really feel:
4. Who do you admire most? Hey, that’s a tricky question! Are you trying to get me in trouble? I admire my hubby, my family, my family-in-law, my friends, my co-workers, everyone! Ha! In all seriousness, however, I admire people with a strong will who don’t give up on their dreams despite whatever life throws at them. I admire people who love and continue to learn and grow. I admire people who are adventurous and live their lives to the fullest!
5. Pirates or Ninjas? Why? Hmmmm… I’ll have to go for pirates! I mean, who can resist Johnny Depp?!?!?! However, on the second thought, if they come up with a good looking ninja, I might rethink it. *Baby, I love you! Don’t let this get between us! LOL!*
6. What was your favorite cartoon growing up? Hands down, Chip and Dale Rescure Rangers! How can’t you love “CHEEEEEEEESE!”?
7. If you owned a cow what would you name it? Oh, wow! Let me think… How about Cinnamon or Buttercup? Sounds great to me!
8. Do you eat enough veggies? I eat PLENTY of vegetables. Actually, I don’t think I can function without them, I literally don’t feel healthy when I don’t eat enough. *Oh, those we’ve-got-to-go-to-Costco-like-now days*
9. Who is your favorite super hero? Why? Well, my favorite character would probably be Catwoman. I know, not exactly a super hero, more like an opposite. I’m not even sure why I like her; maybe because of her confidence and her ability to get everything she wants.
10. What have you learned today? Today I learnt that it’s okay to listen to what my body is telling me. I had a 10 km run planned, but then was able to run only 5 km. At first I was upset; however, later I came to a realization that it’s still better than nothing!
11. What scares you? There are a lot of things that scare me, but my biggest scare is to lose my loved ones which is followed by a fear of labor. Long story short, since the very moment when I found out how babies are born, I was hoping that by the time I have my kids that someone would come up with some sort of solution that you would fall asleep and when you wake up the baby is already there. Well, they didn’t! Haha!
11 random facts about myself:
- Bruce Willis is my childhood crush. ❤
- I earned the rank of Candidate for Master of Sports in rhythmic gymnastics when I was 15.
- I love reading.
- I was caught on a candid camera show in Montreal.
- Last year an 18 year old was trying to flirt with me because he thought I was 16. Little that he knew I was 26 and engaged to top it off. * A great pick up FAIL!!! Haha!*
- I’m addicted to having a yogurt in the morning.
- I love drinking my tea with milk.
- Once I was reading on my lunch break at a park and a bird pooped on my book. I wasn’t sure if I should be upset because I’d got bird poop on my book or happy because it didn’t land on my hair. My co-workers told me to go and buy a lottery ticket. It was the very first time I won something.
- I speak fluently 4 languages.
- I secretly hope to have twins when my time comes, so that I don’t have to go through labour twice.
- I’m clueless when it comes to styling my hair.
I read a lot of really great blogs, but since I can name only 11, here are my nominations:
Cait @ Perpetual Plot Hole
Laura @ This Is Thirty
Emmeline @ Run For The Pizza
Ursula @ Northern Ambitions
Sarah @ Running On Healthy
Jason @ Must Love Jogs
Meredith @ Peachy Clean
Khrysty @ Running In Her Heels
Engrid @ Liveng Proof
Cee @ Cee Food Differently
Alexandra & Katrin @ Sugar & Hairspray
Now, here are my questions for the nominees:
- What are the fondest memories from your childhood?
- If you could go back and visit any time period, what time would you travel to and why?
- Name a gift you will never forget?
- What is one thing you really like about yourself?
- What is the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- What is one of the things you would put on your Bucket list?
- Where is the worst place you could get stuck?
- What is your biggest addiction?
- When I dance, I look like…?
- What is your life motto?
- If you were famous what would you be famous for?
Please take the time to visit these FANTABULOUS blogs and spread some love! My friends above, CONGRATULATIONS, I cannot wait to see all of your answers. Enjoy!!