Earlier this month I was given an opportunity to review Manitoba Harvest Hemp Heart Bars. I am very honored to do it since it’s a Canadian company.
If you’ve never tried hemp seeds, hemp products have a slightly nutty taste. According to care2 article, hemp has the following 5 health benefits:
- The protein and fiber in hemp combine to slow digestion, which prevents spikes in blood sugar and therefore sustains your body’s energy. A diet rich in hemp promotes digestive regularity.
- When sprinkled on your cereal or fruit at breakfast, hemp protein and fiber also help aid in satiety, which will prevent you from snacking and keep you fuller longer.
- The Omega-3 fatty acids in hemp reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, lower blood pressure, and may even ward off Alzheimer’s disease. Hemp seeds are one of the few Omega-3 sources found in plants.
- The Omega-6 fatty acids in hemp stimulate skin and hair growth, maintain bone health, regulate metabolism, and help the brain function.
- Hemp seeds contain essential amino acids, which improves muscle control, mental function, and normal body maintenance of cells, muscle, tissues, and organs.
(Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/5-surprising-health-benefits-of-hemp-2.html#ixzz40wRqQLmS)
Manitoba Harvest Hemp Heart bars are crafted with the goodness of hemp and other tasty ingredients too. They’ve whipped up three different delicious flavours to choose from: vanilla, chocolate and apple cinnamon. Each 45 gram bar contains 10 grams of plant-based protein and 10 grams of omegas, so whether you grab one for a pre-workout snack or nutrition on the go, these convenient bars are sure to get you through even your busiest day! Needless to say, I was very curious to try out the two flavors I was provided with: Apple Cinnamon & Chocolate.
Ingredients: Hemp hearts (shelled hemp seeds), organic coconut palm sugar, organic brown rice syrup, dried apple, cinnamon, organic apple flavor, pectin, organic sunflower oil, organic caramel flavour, rosemary extract.
I definitely liked this flavour a lot! It’s not overly sweet, yet satisfies a sweet tooth. I had it as an afternoon snack just before my workout. It was light and filling and gave me the boost I needed.
Ingredients: Hemp heart (shelled hemp seeds), organic brown rice syrup, organic coconut palm sugar, organic cocoa mass, organic dutch-process cocoa, organic chocolate flavour, pectin, organic sunflower oil, rosemary extract.
It took me a few bites to appreciate the taste of this bar, mostly because it’s been a while since I had dark chocolate. *I’ll blame Valentine’s day for this! Haha!* That being said, I can see myself enjoying it before a long run or simply as a snack.
Manitoba Harvest is running a photo contest:
Tag @manitobaharvest #hempheartbar #fuelledbyhemp #sweatpink @fitapproach for a chance to win a box of your favorite flavor of Hemp Heart Bars!
A winner will be chosen each month!
Eligibility: open to US and Canada residents
Also Manitoba Harvest offers a discount to all of my readers. The discount code hhbarlaunch1015 will get you 15% off! It expires on March 31, 2016, so go ahead and take advantage of it!
What is your favourite hemp product?